Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Look how they shine for you.

Many of you may have heard about the youtube video, "An Apostle's Easter Thoughts on Christ". It is truly beautiful and touching; it's message universal to all Christians.
I am incredibly hurt right now. I was so excited to show this video to my dad. He is a devout Catholic, and was very against me joining the church. However, 3 1/2 years have passed and he's gotten used to my "freedom of religion" as he calls it. I told my Institute class how excited I was that I got up the nerve to share it to him. I haven't talked about the church with him since the beginning, because it's still something bitter between us. I sent him a simple message with the video, along with my testimony on how wonderful it made me feel. He sent this back to me:

"I guess the video was nice, however, I was definitely not as touched by it as you. The "message" has been the core faith of christianity for over 2,009 years!! It is interesting the LDS church needed to put their stamp on it, like a politically paid advertisement. The Passion of Christ is repeatedly described in the Bible, with no need for a "roll of credits" after the story is told. Indeed, the message is universal for all christians, so why not keep it anonymous? It appears the LDS church is using the emotion of Our Saviour's death & resurrection to promote its' religion, and worldwide influence. I am unaware of any such egregious efforts by traditional religious organizations. Furthermore, the story of Christ's Passion is infinitely more comprehensive, respectful, and professionally presented by Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ. I assure you the username "MomonMessages" did not throw me off, but rather made their agenda incredibly obvious (i.e. spread the Mormon Message, and convert as many people as possibe). Once again, I am not impressed by this wannabe religion, but I respect your choice. God bless us all...whatever religion we choose to follow!! I love you!!
Dad xoxoxx..."

As soon as I read this, I'm not going to lie, I cried. He didn't focus on the pure and beautiful message of the Savior. He focused on the credits, as if the LDS church were bombarding him/attacking him with propaganda. It reminded me of how hard this is, and of how I'm in this for the long haul. It will truly be a sad day when I tell my dad I will be married in the temple, I know this. What's even more sad is that he's not willing to understand why. He puts up a blockade. He doesn't see the true happiness that comes from me being a member of the Church. In a way, I want so badly to have a family that's in the Church and understands me. But, the Church is my family, and I am lucky to have all of you. These are the cards I have been dealt with, and I am grateful for them.
A girl I know posted this quote (she is Christian)...."you were given this life because you were strong enough to live it." Heavenly Father will never give us a trial we cannot handle. Sometimes it's so hard, but I need to keep my head up.

1 comment:

Nikki Marie said...

oh amy, I'm so sorry that your dad took it that way. I am totally in your shoes with this. I am the only one from my family that goes to my church, and if I even mention my religion to my parents, they don't wanna here it. They except that it is my religion, but they personally want nothing to do with it.

It can def. hurt sometimes, especially when I'm doing something special at church... they won't even give it a chance, and that in itself is SO discouraging.

Keep your head up baby cakes. Love you tons! ♥