Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rage.

Maybe my hormones are out of control today, I'm not sure what..But a couple things have been pissing me off.

First of all:
I'm waiting in line to refill my subway card. There were 2 women having quite a bit of trouble using the machine ; they were international and obviously have never used a metro card booth before. I'm patient for these people; I know what it's like to have used it for the first time, I've been a tourist too. The man in back of me, however did not like this. He stood there, a man in his early 30's, his iPod buds in his ears, reeking of alcohol, in businessmen attire and started yelling at these women. Swearing like I've never heard someone swear before. I got scared, but most of all I got angry. It took me so much energy to hold my tongue. My heart was racing. A few girls started yelling back at him for disrespecting these young women who were European and couldn't speak up for themselves completely. He yelled back that he paid his taxes and deserved to be first in line, in front of these women. "Welcome to America," he yelled to them in the angriest voice I've heard in a long time.
What a great example of an American citizen to these European women.
You don't yell at a woman, especially in that tone of voice. Golden rule. He was being so mean and unkind. I'm kind of glad that these women probably didn't understand many of the words he was saying, but I did and I felt the brunt of it. What if they had yelled back? It scared me to think about what he'd do next, he was so angry. My heart was pounding for probably 15 minutes after this event. I had to pace around in order not to push this man onto the subway tracks.

Second:
We had a regional YSA sacrament meeting involving members from all over the Tri-State area. Two men spoke, I came in late (oops) and caught the last 3/4 of the first talk. This guy was speaking straight doctrine. For a convert like me, it's a little bit hard to pay attention/relate to this. The second speaker was a high-esteemed man, he maybe name dropped and talked about this a little too much, but his stories were really touching to me. Rather than straight doctrine, he related it to his life. I can respect that. What I can't respect are these young adults that were in this meeting who wrote in their facebook statuses (of all places) about this man's talk and how he was "arrogant", "self-centered", "outrageous", "nauseating", etc. If this man was all of these, I don't think he'd give the time of day to devote a talk to young single adults. Have some respect.


That is all. Headache.

No comments: