Monday, September 20, 2010

Penny Saver


Today, I made a piggy bank. This is the first piggy bank I've had in over 10 years. Sadly, it's a gatorade bottle and not a pink porcelain pig, but what's the point of purchasing a bank when you're diligently trying to save money? So far, I have about $5. It's a start.

I have a lot of cash, thanks to a cute guy paying me back for half of a plane ticket. I have more than I know what to do with; I usually never have cash on me. So, what I've done: I put the cash in my underwear drawer, and will only take $20-40 out with me at a time. I've also put my debit card in hiding (okay, it's in the underwear drawer as well). Please don't use this knowledge to your advantage, break in and raid my underwear drawer. Precious things lie in there.

I'm pretty good at saving money. I guess not the best, but better than your average girl who loves to shop. I'm all about sales/clearances. I miss WalMart and all of their rollback prices. I've always wanted a Smart Car because they're cheap and would save on gas, but when my dad told me if I ever got into an accident I'd "lose" (his word), I reconsidered.

A random convenience (I realized today): My only excuse to not go to the gym is because I have no money. Good excuse, Amy.

I loathe the grocery store on the corner, D'Agostinos for marking up 2 hot pockets for $4.00. Hello D'Ag, I can get them for $2.00 at home. This is one thing I do not like about the City. Sometimes I feel like eating out is about the same price as shopping at these ridiculous grocery stores.

Kevin and I have no pots and pans. We also don't have a couch, but I'll save that for another post. This forces us to eat out a lot. Not good for my wallet or my love handles. However, investing in pots and pans is useless when we have some at home waiting to be sent here via one of our parents. So, I've decided to eat less and savor my food by rationing leftovers.

Anyway, this is my written vow that I will try to save my money as best possible. I will put every spare coin that I get into this jug, I will search the streets for pennies, and I will be a millionaire. (K, just kidding about the last part..I wish). I will only go shopping for clothes if the urge is absolutely undeniable (jk, I'll try not to go).....That is all.

UPDATE:
So, I'm on my way back from 86th street and need to refill my MetroCard. There are four machines: All of which are flashing, "NO BILLS". Good. I decided to be a penny saving-savvy girl and keep my debit card at home, and this is what happens. Lesson learned...Guess I will have to bring that sucker everywhere, and only use it just in case.

No comments: