Friday, December 4, 2009

Mad Women?


This is a Mad Men post.
I've only seen one episode.
I watched it solely because there was a party in New York City that girls from church threw that was Mad Men themed. They dressed as girls from the late 50's early 60's. I love that era. I wish I lived during that time period, the 50's mostly.
I watched it, and I realized why the girls from NYC love that show so much.
Mad Men is set during the turn of a new era. It's about men and women in the workplace, at an ad agency in the Upper East Side to be specific. The new era women empowerment--It's okay for them to be in the workplace, be on birth control and promiscuous.
I'll just throw it out there-- Most of the girls in New York make their lives their jobs. They're in love with working in fashion, advertising, and everything else "in vogue". Marriage and family is on the back burner, because right now they're having fun and feel empowered thanks to their job and their passion for it.

Okay, I respect that. I realize this is probably a controversial post. But I fail to understand feeling empowered to the point where you think having a family is your last priority.
I believe women should be educated as much as they can. Women should have jobs that they're happy with. But the job shouldn't have the woman.

I want to be a mom and a wife more than anything. I love nursing. I love the versatility of it. I'm probably the most conservative dresser you'll ever meet. A couple of weeks ago, my dad told my sister she's definitely the more stylish one, and I could care less. Except for when I'm in New York and all of the girls around me at Morm parties look like dolls and I look like....Well, plain. But I'm proud to say that I will never make my job first in life. I wish I lived in the 40's. I would absolutely love to wear pearls and vacuum, cook dinner and most of all, have those hairstyles and dress beautifully yet simply. Is it really anti-feminist to think that?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I don't think it's at all anti-feminist to want to be a stay at home mom. There are lots and lots of thing about second wave feminism that I don't agree with, but thanks to the woman's movement, we know have the CHOICE to work or not work, be a full time mom or not (well, if the guys decide to marry us, that is!) The women of the 40s and 50s didn't necessarily have much choice about their roles.