Friday, July 3, 2009

Imagine

You know the world is okay when a random, crazy person makes you smile when you feel like it isn't possible. Just now, I was on my usual stroll from the Times Square subway station to my apartment. This summer I've perfected the art of navigating/walking through busy sidewalks and streets while reading at the same time. Nerdy, I know. But sometimes it's necessary if the book is that good, and even the City that never sleeps can't tear you from the story.. Tonight, an old man in a suit (at 12:30 am, mind you) watches me and my newly acquired talent. He starts yelling, "Hey, you! You read too much! You read WAY too much!"
I was flattered. I successfully had a Belle from "Beauty and the Beast" moment.

Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar
I wonder if she's feeling well
With a dreamy, far-off look
And her nose stuck in a book
What a puzzle to the rest of us


Just thought I'd start my blog with that story.

It's July 4th weekend. I'm glad it is, because I've had a rough past couple of weeks and I need to stay busy. My sister and Kevin came Wednesday-Friday. I've never laughed so hard in my life. I've also realized that my crazy self only comes out with them. For that, I love them. I don't care, I just laugh. I say things in my head that I would never say to anyone else, and we act like it's normal.
Also on this Holiday weekend, I remember my previous ones. For some reason, the Fourth of July and New Years are big holidays for me because looking back, I remember those occasions. My family was very social and we'd throw many parties; On these holidays I've had some of the best times of my life. The parties my family threw were always perfect because I had a crush on my parents' good friends' son and he would always come with them. I remember those nights. I remember Fourth of July with Nichole at the lake. I remember being in a different state with a family I barely know anymore. There was Maine, there was a pool competition. All of it happened on the 4th of July. And I remember it because it was summer, and I was free, and they were the best times of my life. So naturally, a good feeling rushes over me when I think of Independence Day. Tonight I went to New Jersey to watch fireworks with a bunch of people from church. I sat there on the blanket while watching the fireworks and knew that this would be another one for the books. I'll add it to my list, and I'll smile when I think about it. I won't think about the bad things that happened the week before..I'll just think of this weekend and how happy I was to be spending it in a wonderful city with some great friends. Kind of beautiful.

I also got a little nostalgic in New Jersey. In 2000, we were supposed to move in the town next to Red Bank, where the fireworks were. Three days before the movers were set to come, my dad changed his mind. Our house was already sold. Our clothes packed, day camp paid for, beach club passes bought, house being contracted to be built. And my dad changed his mind. We were homeless for about 2 days until we bought another house in Horseheads. But to this day, I always wonder what it would have been like. Would my life have ended up so differently? I remember going to the day camp orientation when we thought we really were going to move, and I cried. I'm sure I would have fit right in, but still. I just stood there and thought, "what if this were my home for the past 9 years?". Weird.

Anyway. This is kind of a long one.
Oh, and I saw the Little Mermaid last night on Broadway. The set was SO cool!! Underwater amazingness. Oh, and the cast used Heely's to make it look like they were swimming. You know, the sneakers with rollerblades. How creative.

No comments: