Thursday, July 16, 2009

Book Qutoes.

Just a couple of quotes I wanted to share from two of my favorite and most recent books I've read thus far. These are most enjoyed and understood in the context of which they are written, so I suggest you read the books. Both are wonderful.


From the book "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathon Safran Foer
"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

"I felt that night, on that stage, under that skull, incredibly close to everything in the universe, but also extremely alone. I wondered, for the first time in my life, if life was worth all the work it took to live. What exactly made it worth it? What's so horrible about being dead forever, and not feeling anything, and not even dreaming? What's so great about feeling and dreaming? .... Maybe it was because of everything that had happened in those twelve weeks. Or maybe it was because I felt so close and so alone that night. I just couldn't be dead any longer."



From the book "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathon Safran Foer
"The Dream that we are our Fathers:
I walked to the Brod, without knowing why, and looked into my reflection in the water. I couldn't look away. What was the image that pulled me in after it? What was it that I loved? And then I recognized it. So simple. In the water I saw my father's face, and that face saw the face of its father, and so on, and so on, reflecting backward to the beginning of time, to the face of God, in whose image we were created. We burned with love for ourselves, all of us, starters of the fire we suffered--our love was the affliction for which only our love was the cure..."