Tuesday, October 13, 2009

pondering

Maybe this is a ridiculous thing to blog about (actually, everything I blog about is ridiculous usually), but today I'm trying to be a little sympathetic/understanding amidst a stupid thing I did today that I refuse to talk about.

So, something that REALLY irks me is when I look at photos on facebook, in albums titled "I felt pretty today" or "good pictures of me", and they consist of not 1 but about 85 images of solely themselves. The song "You're So Vain" is cued in my head at most times.
But I tried to see it from their point of view today. I think a lot of these people do this to boost their confidence and remember that they ARE pretty. When I have my "feeling pretty" days, I feel good about myself. Maybe these girls just want to capture their moment on film and share it with the world because they feel confident at the moment. It's a completely normal, womanly thing to want to feel pretty everyday.

So women, go on and conquer the world. If it's your thing to document this and post it on facebook, then I guess that's your call. I'll still be singing "You're So Vain" in my head, but know that I'm a little bit more understanding.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Interesting post. At first I my viewpoint was the same as yours: "who does that?!" but you bring up a good point. Most of the pictures of me on FB (especially the ones other people post) are not that great. I've been getting back in touch with a lot of friends from high school since our 10 year reunion is this month, and as I try to look at my pictures from an outsider's point of view, I'm really not impressed with the way I look. . . But I'm not about to go and post an album of pictures of myself.

Anonymous said...

I have an album of just me on facebook. Over the course of 3 years, there are 29 pictures in it and I do not update it any longer. It's just there because I'm too lazy to delete the album. The reason why I have the album though is because my boyfriend at the time liked in a completely different time zone and Facebook was our only form of communication! I am not vain and I do not have any kind of self-esteem or confidence issues. So miss Amy... I better be the exception of this post! me ♥ youu!

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

that's hilarious, i don't think any of my friends have any of those pics. i'm not that confident. i'm pretty sure i'd be annoyed by the same dang thing.