Tuesday, October 6, 2009

one great gift.

Today, I was thinking of people's birthdays. The funny part was, the birthdays I remembered were birthdates of people I barely knew. I saw it once probably on facebook, pondered upon it for a second, and then it was stored in my memory.

I think one of our greatest gifts is the gift of memory. I think if the veil was lifted and we COULD remember our pre-existence, I would probably remember the coolest/most random details. My friends used to be astounded at my memory. I'm really good at numbers. I'm even better at remembering random events that occurred when I was little. It's a source of such great joy for me when I remember little things from my childhood. It also is a source of sorrow, because in pretty fine detail I can remember a lot of struggles in my childhood.

I was talking about memories from my childhood earlier with a friend, and then I thought about it in serious detail while driving and talking to my Grandma. She had a stroke last weekend. She was telling me how she was forgetting things, daydreaming a lot, and is in therapy to help improve her memory at the rehabilitation center. 95% of the time on the phone, she sounded like my grandma. But then she'd forget I was at school and warn me to watch out for crazy people on the subway. That's not like my grandma.

Memory is such a beautiful gift that we are given. They can make us laugh, make us cry, but most of all remind us that we live in a mostly beautiful world.


Most beautiful lyrics ever.....That remind me I still have that little girl inside of me :) how lame. Ha.

"Seven Years"

-Norah Jones

Spinning, laughing, dancing to
Her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
Is all alone

Eyes wide open
Always hoping for the sun
And she'll sing her song to anyone
That comes along

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just falling to the ground
Without a sound

No comments: