Monday, September 28, 2009

i remember.

I remember the first time I woke up and thought, "Was last night all just a bad dream?"

I was 14. It was the day before my first time cheering for a football game. Steph and I were at Nichole's and we hated boys obviously. We decided it would be rebellious to dye our hair because of this hatred we felt. We decided to go wild and pick dark brown...Even though we already had dark brown hair, I guess we thought it was possible to make it just a little bit darker before it turning black. So, we had a fun night dying it...Until Nichole washed it out for us in the shower (which is a hilarious story in and of itself) and we dried it, looked in the mirror, and realized our hair was JET BLACK. I remember Steph and I bursting into tears. Steph kept saying over and over again, "We look like we belong to the Addam's Family!!!" And I was just thinking, "my first day of highschool AND my first football game, I will be looking like a loser". We went to bed that night after planning on dying our hair back the following day, but it had to be after the football game. This was an emergency. I woke up the next morning and covered my face with a pillow thinking, 'was that all just a bad dream?' Then, I looked in the mirror and reality struck.
We have a picture of Steph and I the day of that football game. I look at it now and I think it didn't look so bad; I was tan and dark hair just accentuated it, I looked cute. It didn't have to be that bad of a night like we made it out to be. Actually, I ended up dying my hair that color later on in highschool, I guess again as an act of rebellion but still. I knew what it would look like, and I did it anyway. And I liked it.

Ah, how small of a deal things were then, and I didn't even know it. You live, you learn.

1 comment:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

You know I was talking to my grandpa while he was out here... he said the things that are worth anything usually require the most difficult journey. A thought for you.