Saturday, December 15, 2012

To Love.


WHEN YOU LOVE PEOPLE & HAVE THE DESIRE TO MAKE A PROFOUND, POSITIVE IMPACT UPON THE WORLD, THEN WILL YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THE MEANING TO LIVE.
--Sasha Azevedo 


"I’ll miss you Mr. P.  You have been my favorite patient .  I’ve learned so much from you, my friend.  Please come visit like you told me. "


I found this while browsing the history of my more private blogs. This was from January 2011.  
I had just taken care of a 59-year old man in New York City who passed away.  I'll always remember him.  He is still one of my favorite patients that I have ever taken care of.  I wrote about him in my journal so I'd never forget him and the bond I felt with him.  

I think it was a pivotal point at the beginning of my career -  To know that I can care about a human being so much that I barely know.  To know that I made a difference in his life just by taking the time to hold his hand in the days before he took his last breath.

I know I was put here on earth for this reason - to care deeply for human beings.  To love them and nurture them.
These human beings range from being my friends, family, future spouse and children, to people I don't know who just need to be loved.  Told hold their hand when they need it, take care of them when they are sick, to listen.  
I'm so glad that this is my purpose..There is nothing more rewarding than knowing that.

No comments: