Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dream Job.

Guess what?  I'm Nurse Amy again!


I don't know if I've ever written about it here, but I have always had a dream field that I've wanted to work in:  Pediatric oncology/working with kids with cancer.  Whenever someone asked me what I wanted to do with my nursing degree in the long run, that it what I would tell them.  I knew I'd have to be patient; I was expecting to be in the field in years and years to come.  
If there's one thing I've learned about trying to find a nursing job in Utah, it's that you always have to know somebody in order to simply just get an interview.  And 99% of the time, you don't have enough experience/specialty experience, so they just give you the interview because they were doing your 'referral' a favor.  I got in contact with a girl that I have yet to meet that is a friend of a friend and she knew that her position was my dream position.  She told me I could put her name down.  I crossed my fingers, and I got an interview.  I went in knowing that the job opening post stated in bold "pediatric experience strongly preferred" and I didn't have that.

BUT miracles happen and that interview was the best interview I have ever had to this date.  I seriously lucked out on that one because I'm terrible at interviews.  Stupid anxiety.  I knew since it went so well, the ball was in their court.  When I heard they were checking out my references, I was in crazy mode.  On Tuesday, I got the phone call offering me the job.

My job:  I will be working on an Immunocompromised Inpatient Unit -  Taking care of kids one-day old through mid-twenties with cancer, blood diseases, post- stem cell transplants, and renal/liver transplants.  I will get to know and love these patients and their families.

I am so very, very excited.  My dream job has come early :)



3 comments:

Deidre said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is so so so so so exciting. I'm so happy for you! Everyone deserves their dream job!

StaceyFacex said...

Congratulations! That's exciting news :) I love your blog title, it made me smile because it's very true! I'm having a Christmas giveaway if you'd like to join in!
http://improvisedintentions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/christmas-giveaway.html

hope you have a lovely Christmas xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I came here looking for a pediatric oncology nurse blog. I am definitely considering the field. You'll have to tell us more about how you like it. Are you days or nights?