Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The smell before rain.

It's 11:15 pm at the moment on a Tuesday night.  I was watching TV wasting my life away when I looked outside and saw lightning.
I love lightning, I love rain, I love thunderstorms.  I mostly love the smell before rain, though.  Especially in the spring and summer.

It's not raining yet.  I literally pray everyday that it will rain here in Utah.  Since it's basically the desert it barely ever rains, even though I check the forecast everyday and that "30% chance" makes me get my hopes up.  It just never happens.  You don't know how badly I want a pair of rain boots....But when would I use them?

(I just realized I'm blogging on my computer while it's lightning outside...So if I'm M.I.A for a few days, you'll know the story).

Why is something about this so calming?

Every time I think about rain, I think about that song by Brand New that I would listen to every day of my emo life in high school.




The song is depressing, but the part "You are the smell before rain, you are the blood in my veins" always gets to me.  

Seriously, this is so therapeutic.  The smell, the lightning, the super, super loud thunder....And it's raining...My prayers answered!!!  It's such a perfect moment of solitude.  Just what I need.

1 comment:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

I don't realize how much I miss the rain until I spend a summer night, allowing it to pour all over me.