Tuesday, August 4, 2009

i am.

"Do You See What I See?" - Refugee children photograph their own lives by UNHCR.

I AM ALONE IN THIS WORLD:
"There was a girl of 10 years old. She always said that she felt lonely In this world. She is the face that comes out from the night. She may be little but it is her right to fight for happiness in this world.", © Idalina, 16 years old, Osire Refugee Camp, Namibia

I just wanted to share that..I found it in the U.N. photo exhibit. I loved it.




I am thoroughly enjoying my last few weeks in New York...I'm so glad I decided to stay a little bit longer because so far it's been totally worth it.
What I've been doing...Saturday I went to a public pool in New York. Needless to say, I will not be going again. They make everyone shower and then you have to flash your bathing suit to them to prove you showered, there is absolutely no room to lay out, and you can't bring anything out. And they make you buy a lock. It was fun though, I went with a few people from Church and Randy. Then, me and Randy met up with his brother and his wife who were visiting and we went around Times Square, got pizza and went on the Staten Island Ferry (fourth time in my whole 2 months here, it's the best free view of the Statue of Liberty ever).
Sunday, I went to church with them...I love Randy's brother and sister in law, they are hilarious/the cutest couple ever. Afterwards we all napped and then took a walk around Central Park. I got to see the castle that was in Enchanted. Woohoo. After that they made me do more walking, across the Brooklyn Bridge and back. It was so cute.
Last night Randy, his brother and his brother's wife went to a Mets game...The Mets lost but I hate them anyway, so it was okay. I also went to the U.N. building yesterday. I was surprisingly really touched by some exhibits in there. It made me want to go to refugee camps and help out all these little kids that have such big dreams.

me and Randy at the Mets game!


This particular picture touched me. It says: Surgeon. In my sleep, I dreamed of being a surgeon. It was written by a 17 year old boy in a refugee camp.




And today, Randy surprised me and got us Jersey Boys tickets!!! I'm going next Thursday, I absolutely cannot wait. He's a sweet guy :)

Randy and I at the U.N. Building, in front of the flags!! P.S. You can't see my face because Randy is 6'4 and I'm 5'2, so he always casts a shadow upon me. Lovely.'

No comments: