Friday, December 3, 2010

This is Home.


Current City: Horseheads, New York.
My Hometown.

A few days ago at work, I was thinking about how I will not be spending Christmas with my family. I then realized I have not visited home since August. This is the longest I have ever gone without making a trip home. It's been four months, and I guiltily didn't even think twice about it until a boring day at work. I hadn't seen my Mom in four months, my Dad in three months. Suddenly, I was so home sick. I wanted my Mom and Dad. I wanted familiarity and comfort. I think that's okay sometimes. When I'm old and grey, I know there will be days when I want my Mom and Dad. So, right on the spot, I decided to spend my 3 day weekend home. I looked up bus ticket prices (so expensive) and embarked on my journey.

I was like a happy little kid when I first saw my Mom pull up at the bus station. I thought I was going to cry, but thankfully didn't. I've missed her. We drove back to the house and as soon as I walked in, I smelled home. I have heard from someone/somewhere that scent can be the one sense that most often brings back memories. It does it for me. I saw my dogs and my cats, and immediately I felt good. Sitting with my mom just catching up and talking about adult things was surreal. She made me dinner, both one of our favorites, and we relaxed. Girls' Night with Mom is an invaluable time. You take advantage of it up until when you don't live at home anymore and realize how much you miss it. We got in our pajama pants and just spent time together. It felt really good to spend time with her. Doing nothing but chatting and relaxing with my Mom is one of my favorite things ever.

There's just something about waking up to a cat purring in your ear (creepy-sounding, but true). I used to think it was the grossest thing in the world that my mom had four cats and three dogs (it's narrowed down to three and two), but looking at my camera I obviously must enjoy it. All of my pictures so far are of my dogs and cats. I swear, they really do remember you. Much to my Mom's dismay, I decided to put ribbons on all of their necks. Sadly, I woke up this morning to see that most of them had clawed them off. Bummer.

This place, this home is one place I will always find comfort in.
(pictures to come)



Anyway...Tonight I'm hoping to decorate my Mom's tree with her. It'll be a blast I'm sure!!

I went to Jackson's for Thanksgiving in Utah. In short, it was great. His family made sweet potatoes so I had a little taste of home, and the food was delicious. I may have had seconds or thirds...
We always have such a fun time together. We are huge nerds and I love it; we are always laughing together. Sadly we didn't take any pictures. But, I will be there next weekend, and if pictures aren't taken at that time, I owe each of my blog readers a million dollars. That said, I WILL be taking pictures. I swear he exists. Where else do you think my big smile comes from?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

There's nothing like home. Even though my life is out here now, even though I've never lived in the town my mom lives in now, spending time with family is always home.