Wednesday, October 20, 2010

To be Alive.

I say this to people a lot. I write this plenty in my personal journal, which I plan to give to my grandchildren someday: I am in my physical prime. I have no wrinkles. I am probably in the best shape I will ever be. I can eat fast food, and for the most part, not gain weight.

Like most, I have this fear of getting old. I think the first time I start to see wrinkles appear on my face, I'll freak out. But someday, I'll be a Mom. Far, far from now I'll be a Grandmom. I'll look in the mirror, look at pictures of myself from now, and barely recognize the girl that I used t to be. But, it's so beautiful. We are ever evolving human beings.



I think it's hard to appreciate the beauty of aging. I remember seeing a woman in a nursing home. Looking at her, and then glancing at a framed picture of the girl that she was when she was my age. But the confidence this woman had sitting in the nursing home in her wheelchair, the love for her purple headbands and brushing her hair showed me that she still knew she had that beauty.



I saw an elderly woman on the subway the other day. First of all, I'll rant about how a lazy overweight young woman did not give up her seat for this old woman the entire 15-20 minutes we were on the train. But, I could not help but stare at this lady. She was probably in her 80's, and she was stunning. Under her wrinkles and imperfections, you could tell she used to be the most gorgeous woman. She was smiling the entire time. I saw a woman next to her; Presumably her daughter. Ah, it touched my heart.

Anyway, I hope I'm a cute old lady. After pondering this for a while and seeing all these wonderful older women, I think there is hope.

1 comment:

The Meow said...

Hi Amy - I know we haven't met yet, but I am so excited that you're taking the opportunity to live and work in NYC - and I hope to have the chance to meet you soon.

I loved this post, because it is so in line with how I view life. When I turned 30 last year, I honestly couldn't have cared less about getting older. I really feel like I have earned my years, my wrinkles and everything else that comes with it, because I have lived, loved, taken chances, done stupid things, gotten hurt and been on top of the world. And I wouldn't change a second of it.

I am so excited for you - there will be hard times, but there will also be so many amazing moments - and you will never forget either.

And if you want cheap, good, enormous burritos - try Cosmic Cantina. I think its around 3rd and 12th or 13th. It's a transplant from where I went to school in NC - I still crave it!

Lots of love,
Amanda