Thursday, October 10, 2013

First Birthday.

One year ago today, I was waiting to become an aunt.
Little did we know, she would not grace us with our presence until 24 hours later...
Because obviously she wanted to be born on a cool date.  10/11/12.

Since it's all the rage these days for celebrities to post open letters to one another  (See: Miley and Sinead)...And I like to think I'm a celebrity trapped in an ordinary person's body,
I figured I'd post an open letter to my little sister and niece.


To my sister:
Ali, tomorrow is as big of a day for you as it is for Audrey.
It marks one year of you being a mom.
I still can't believe you're a mom sometimes.  And a really good one at that.  Actually I can believe it, but it's still weird!
I know this year has probably been the most challenging year of your life to date.  But I know that you have your priorities right on, and would do anything for Audrey.
I love you, and I am so proud of how much you have grown this past year!



And to my sassy, smiley little niece:
Audrey Jane, 
You can't read right now...But one day you will love to, just like your aunt.  
I have a good feeling about that.  So when that day comes, you'll have this to read.
I know it sucks that I live across the country, but I have such a huge amount of love for you.
So much love that it explodes out of my heart and radiates all the way from my home in Utah 
to yours in New York.  It's constantly streaming out of this heart of mine.
I've only gotten to see you for three short periods of time in the past year:  
Your birth, your first Christmas, and a week in the summer.
Call it silly, but I think you know how much I love you.  You're a smart girl.
When you, your grandpa and Chris picked me up from the airport this summer and I hadn't seen you since Christmas, your sleepy eyes lit up just a little and you smiled when you saw me.
So remember, you and I have a connection little girlfriend....And it isn't just our great taste in dance music ('Blurred Lines' will always be my fave song to dance to with you, and Miley will never come between that).
I can't wait to see you again.




Love,
Aunt Amy

No comments: