Friday, January 7, 2011

Updates, Domino love.

One thing I must get out of the way.
Domino's on 3rd Ave, just 6 blocks from our apartment, I'm in love. Your pizza: so good. Your service: so fast. Your foreign delivery men: The sweetest guys on earth (I'm not hitting on them, don't worry). And, you're open until 2am. So, even when I do happen to sleep from 12:45pm to 12:45am, I can have a meal delivered straight to my door. Not to mention that 2 medium pizzas for $11.99 will last me a few days. Too bad I don't trust my kitchen enough to even step in it so I can even refrigerate this pizza. Aye.

I don't think I've blogged about work in a while. Do I dislike the night shift? Yes. This sleeping during the day thing, I hate it. I feel miserable.
I'm completely working on my own now. It feels nice to be able to make the call on some things without feeling like I have to get permission. I don't know how many times I've gotten, "You're my nurse? You look too young to be a nurse...". Hearing the patients unsure makes me unsure. I just have to remember, I just got done with 4 years of schooling. More than most of the nurses I work with. I feel confident most of the time. Except for my first night....
My first night alone, I got the roughest district. 7 patients, and the majority of them were complete care. This means that they can't do much at all on their own. Let's just say, I broke down around 6am after arguing with my nurse's aide and cried. She was cruel to me. I felt small and insignificant. I'm 22 years old, she's in her late 50's and I'm basically her boss. She doesn't like that. But, I have a wonderful coworker that stood up for me. I had a patient that witnessed the whole incident and afterward, told me what a great nurse I was and that she was proud of me. At least I have these people that really care about me.

I spent Christmas in the hospital, while my family including the extended fam was out in Horseheads. I talked to my entire family on the phone; The phone was passed around the dinner table. That hurt a lot. But, we had a Christmas Eve party at work. Instead of Christmas music, we listened to R&B jams. I've never had so much chicken in my life.

Vanessa, Tom and I pretending to be divas.



Whoa...'

Just a little glimpse into what my Christmas was like.

But my New Year's was a lot better. I spent it with a lovely guy out in Utah. And even with only 2 hours of sleep, I was happy at Midnight. I think it's going to be a great year.
We went skiing and it was a lot of fun.

The winding road on the way up to Sundance.

And on that note, I'm OUT.

1 comment:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

I love this post.
I love getting caught up on your life.
I love you.