Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life is a Highway.....




One thing I miss about living in the country...
(besides Family, family and more family)

Driving.
People always ask, "Doesn't it feel weird to drive again when you're visiting home?"

No. It's like riding a bicycle. You sit in the driver's seat, turn on the CD that's been in your car for a couple of years, and it instantly takes you back to those days.

In case you don't know, I don't drive in the City. Way too expensive. Parking alone costs a month of rent on an apartment. Traffic is horrendous. Public Transportation is the easiest route, even if it means getting up close and personal with the homeless guy next to you...In my case, a homeless guy snorting some drugs as observed last night on my way to work.

I'm at home. Driving up Prospect Hill through the winding road up to my Mom's house, and near my old house, where so much of my growing up took place....Where I first learned how to drive.
The valleys. Driving from Horseheads to Corning and back again, realizing how beautiful it all is. It wasn't even green and I was still marveling at the beauty of Upstate New York. The 2 lane highways, the one-exit towns (Big Flats the most wonderful of all).

A piece of property back home (I googled, this is the best I could find?). Why doesn't anyone take pictures of the pretty roads? But, the point I'm trying to make here is..greenery. Not desert, it's green.

Those roads bring back so many memories. I could be driving up one and remember times when I was 16. Like when a boy I liked back in the day sped through the neighborhood and my neighbors called the "neighborhood watch committee" to look out for him and his Mercedes convertible. Or late night drives to the Corning McDonald's. Or just plain thinking about how my friends and I used to make the walk up Prospect Hill because we didn't have our licenses yet.

(This is the pond my brother illegally skates on with his friends, trespassing property..Your secret is safe with me)

THE END (for now)

No comments: