Thursday, November 7, 2013

It's Okay.

A lot of days I feel like this job is fit just for me, and I love it...
I'm passionate about it.
But some days, it's just really hard.
Today is one of those "some days".

We all have our personal baggage that we are supposed to stow at the door 
so to speak as we enter work.  
However, every single employee/employer knows that a lot of times that's just not possible.

Instead of having to sit a a computer or through meetings on a "blah" day,
Picture having to help tell a family that their little one has cancer.
And having to explain that to them...Just a little at a time, because you know they are so overwhelmed.
There are so many, many questions.
Then sending them to get procedures done
And having to proceed to traumatize them some other way directly afterwards, whether it be pokes, or taking off a bandaid over a sore spot.

Today, I'm not going to be remembered as Super nurse,
Or nice nurse, or 'That one Nurse I really liked".
Instead, I'm going to be remembered as 
"The Nurse that poked me and it hurt,"
and "The Nurse that was there to tell me I had cancer."
I guess that's okay.
I guess sometimes that happens.

As much as that hurts my heart,
That is a part of my job description.

Sometimes it's okay to cry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww rough day. I definitely want to be a peds heme/onc nurse and so it's important to hear about days like this. It's hard on you and hard on the family but I am sure you broke it to them in the nicest way possible. Know that you are making a huge difference!