Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Transition.

It's been 2 long weeks. But alas, I have decided to update on a much needed day off.
I'm 3 weeks deep into my job as a Registered Nurse.
I still get excited every time I write 'RN, BSN' after my name. It's amazing how much more patients trust you with the RN tag as opposed to the word "student" printed across it.
So far, my preceptor is great and very patient with me which I am very grateful for. I will be working with her for the next 5 weeks on the day shift. Some of the staff on the floor are just plain mean, but that's what working in a New York City hospital can be like.
I love my patients. Even though most of them are sick old people with very little independence left, I learn so much from each and every one of them. I get called 'cute' by at least one of my patients everyday. One dubbed me the 'Penn State girl'. I have gotten one marriage proposal from a 48 year old man (creepy).
(My workplace)

I do want to share a short story though. Last week, I took care of an old man who was very, very sick. He was basically lying on his death bed. He didn't respond to much except for pain, in which he would moan but that's about it. No one really tried to talk to him. One of the nurse assistants undressed him, left him completely exposed (which I'm not okay with) and left me to do the rest later that night. I got to spend a minute alone with him. I dressed him and tucked him into his sheets. I was telling him what I was doing step by step, and then I did something that I hadn't seen anyone else do that day. I decided to ask him something. I took his hand, looked him in the eye and said "Okay, would you like a blanket on you? Squeeze my hand if you do. If you don't, you don't have to do anything. Can you do that for me?" . I asked him twice, and then I heard him mumble. I was pretty startled, and I asked him to repeat what he had said. Hoarsely, he responded "I would like that." I wasn't even expecting him to squeeze my hand, let alone speak. It was a beautiful moment. Moments like this are why I decided to become a nurse. Now it's real. Maybe being on this floor is a blessing in disguise, even though it may be a little chaotic and not my first choice of a job.

These past few weeks have been quite a transition for me. I got my schedule for the next 2 months. It makes me cringe to think I will be scheduling my life around work. Unlike most of my fellow graduates who are not nurses, I will be working nights, weekends, and holidays. I'll sacrifice spending time with my family and exchanging it with taking care of sick people in the hospital. I know the first holiday I will spend in the hospital, it will upset me. But at least I know I will be making a difference in a stranger's life. Still, I would expect a future rant about this.


In other news, Jackson came to visit from October 29th to the 3rd. It was so nice spending time with him and I'm so thankful that he came a few days after I started work, even though I had to work the last 2 days he was here (including on his birthday...Boo). For his birthday, I took him to the Bronx Zoo. Cheesy sounding, I know....But it was so much fun! Here are two of the scant amount of pictures I took.

Amazing (but greasy) Mac and Cheese place, S'Mac on the Lower East Side. It was delicious. Nomnomnom.

Gorillas are so fascinating!! Jeeze louise...they are just like humans. This is exactly how I sleep, not kidding. Ha.


And, I'm going to Utah for Thanksgiving! Hooray!!

I'll try to be better at updating, but life is busy, FINALLY!

Since it's November, the time of thanksgiving and everyone is stating what they are thankful for, I am thankful for being alive. I'm thankful that I had great parents that supported me through college and allowed me to get the job that I now have. I'm grateful for my boyfriend and dear friends, even though they are few and far between.

I'm thankful that I have so much to smile about.


No comments: