Friday, November 12, 2010

Three days.

Three days off....What to do with myself? Obviously update my blog with random happenings.

Got my first paycheck yesterday.
Up Side: MONEY!!
Down Side: Taxes. More than half of my paycheck went to taxes. Thank you Obama and the government in general (in January, I'll thank you again since they're going up. Also, I know that it's not only Obama that makes the decisions....So does congress). Thank you New York City.

The apartment that Kevin and I live in is in shambles. Lead paint is peeling off of our walls. Good thing I don't have kids, or they would end up eating them and have neurological defects. Lead is in our tap water. NYCers, beware. This affects over 100,000 buildings in New York due to old plumbing (to prevent this, just let your tap water run for 30 seconds before drinking). The most sad though, is that I haven't had a real shower in over 3 days. Our drain doesn't work in the shower. I've used Draino, tried a plunger...Still, the tub is over half full with dirty, disgusting previous-shower water. Don't worry though, I took a Mexican shower yesterday--For those who don't know this drill, it involves washing my hair and necessary body parts via the sink water and some soap. Our apartment Superintendent, Duro, has yet to stop by. Kevin got locked out yesterday without a coat and Duro couldn't help because he doesn't have spare keys, the management does. Management is closed for the weekend. So what would happen if Kevin didn't have a roommate to save him? Thanks overpriced apartment management company that gives us nothing but problems. I'm sure many have this problem in NYC. If I were registered to vote in time for the November 2nd elections, I would have voted for "The Rent is 2 Damn High!" party.

Yesterday was by far my busiest day at work in the past 3 weeks. Talking to the other girl starting at the same time as me (Jessica, you are awesome), I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way. I'm pretty sure both of us were near tears multiple times throughout the day, wondering how we will make it on our own without our preceptors. I am praying that the night shift will be less chaotic and that we will be blessed with helpful (and nice, not obnoxious) nurse aides and fellow RNs.

Today, I'm really thankful for having a job and getting my first paycheck. It felt like it was my first Christmas finally opening it. Even though I have complained above about how ridiculous this apartment management is, I am thankful for even having an apartment to live in.

P.S.....Obviously I got asked to move in with one of my patients. He was in his 80's, German, told me I was cute and lived near Columbia University. He promised free rent and meals if I took care of him every night. He told me, "No sex....Just love. Will you be my love?". Should I accept?



Do You Realize -- The Flaming Lips

No comments: